Our team at The Family Eye Site is committed to helping patients in and around the Pembroke Pines area with quality vision care. We provide patients eye and vision exams, pediatric eye care, Ortho-K, as well as senior eye care. Geriatric eye care is essential for maintaining optimal eye health late in life. This is because as people age, they need more comprehensive eye exams and advanced treatment for many common eye diseases.
When Should You Seek Geriatric Eye Care?
There are many optical issues you may experience as you get older, but if you notice any of these symptoms, it's essential to make an appointment with our optometrist for a proper diagnosis.
- A loss of coordination, evidenced by bumping into things or tripping
- Squinting or excessive blinking
- Having trouble recognizing people or reading signs
- Change in the appearance of the eyes. Patients can experience bulging, swollen, red, or crossed eyes as they get older
- If you are experiencing eye discharge, burning or itching sensations, pain, eye fatigue, or difficulty closing your eyes, as it may be a sign of an underlying issue occurring
- Needing to bring text or objects very close to your eyes in order to read or see them well
Conditions to Look For in Geriatric Eye Care
The four main eye conditions that affect seniors include:
Cataracts are a condition that causes the lens of the eye to get cloudy and can cause you to develop blurred vision and decreased coordination. Cataracts develop from an accumulation of proteins in the eye.
Macular degeneration occurs when the macula thins out. This progressive eye condition is best prevented before it occurs as there is no treatment for it once it develops.
Glaucoma occurs when the optic nerve is damaged and your vision becomes patchy. Glaucoma can be managed depending on a lot of variable factors.
Diabetic retinopathy occurs when the retina's blood vessels are damaged. Treatment for this is also different depending on factors like progression and other specific conditions. That's why it's essential to maintain an annual eye exam for a diagnosis before symptoms set in.
Contact Us for Eye Care from Our Eye Doctor in Pembroke Pines, FL
Contact us at The Family Eye Site if you need geriatric eye care in Pembroke Pines, FL, and we will help you make an appointment for a proper assessment. You can call our office or fill out our online form to get in touch with us. We know how important good eyesight can be regardless of age or any other factor. That's why our team is dedicated to helping you at any stage of life. Contact us to learn more about how we can help.